Saturday, September 19, 2009

Anything but pink and fluffy....

So lots of people have talked to me about the fact that we know Pearl is a Pearl and not a Victor. The amount of "oooh! aren't you excited for all of the cute pink and fluffy things?" that I've gotten has almost reached the level of ridiculous- and we've only known since Tuesday. But here's the thing- I don't like pink. I don't like pink almost at all. I mean, I don't hate it, I'm fine if Pearl has some things that are pink and I fully realize that it's the most common outfit color by far but really pink? Fluffy? Themed? Princess? It all makes me kind of cringe.
Part of my problem is that I don't consider myself picky- well, my mother-in-love would disagree but it's not picky to only buy clothes you love right? But at the same time I'm finding that although I'm not one of those picky snobby women that say "oh I'm going to theme my baby's room and clothes with a Pooh theme (or princess or ducks or what have you)" I'm catching myself being almost as bad about not being that way. I like purple, I like other pastels for the most part, I like dinosaurs, I like gender-neutral animals (but not too many, I'm making a baby girl, not a hermaphrodite), I like white, I like simple, I like pretty. I think that that's a pretty broad spectrum but maybe I haven't looked at enough baby sections- I just don't see a lot of clothes that look like that.
I guess I'm conflicted because I don't want to be that mother that I hate but I don't want to deal with mostly pink all of the time. Hormones have really been wacking me out and the worst part of it is that I keep worrying that I come off as a hippie women's lib kinda mom who doesn't want her daughter to be put into that box- I'd like a girl who is a girl. I don't want to screw her up!
Anyways, that's my pointless ramblings for right now.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I totally get what you're saying.
Okay. I couldn't help but google-
I realize you don't want a punk baby, but I like this, it has a Adams Family vibe: http://www.punkbabyclothes.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_125_41&products_id=5400&osCsid=c91b8ba11bfb0f20c9f2cbcfef7b5a20

http://www.polkadotpatch.com/baby-girl-clothes.html#top

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=50157&kwid=1&redirect=true

http://www.shirts4squirts.com/baddbabypegasusonepiece.aspx

this site is worth checking out: http://www.myretrobaby.com/item/organic-one-piece-sing-out-loud/2686/p5c58

see now, what if your pair this shirt with a tutu? http://www.myretrobaby.com/item/ribbit-shirts-and-creepers-in-tin-lunch-box/309/p6c58 Perfection!

http://www.myretrobaby.com/item/woof-shirts-and-creepers-in-tin-lunch-box/311/p7c58

SNAP: http://www.babywit.com/ABABY.html